If novels were engines, my hands would be greasy. I’ve been pulling things apart, moving things around, replacing worn parts. Blah! The metaphor is already wearing on me.
The work I’m doing will make the story much better, but it’s quite an undertaking. I didn’t know where to begin, so I just started on one issue my editor identified. Because everything is connected, that one issue led me to all the others. I’m getting much closer to cracking the code. Once I have that, it’ll be a relatively simple thing to write.
Unfortunately, the editing process will have to be done again and that will add weeks to the timeline. May 1st is not looking good. I’m not giving up on it yet, but it won’t be entirely in my control.
Here’s to patience. There really isn’t a point to rushing and releasing a crummy product. Unless the goal is to disappoint readers and encourage them to skip whatever else I write.