The Scions (YA something or other with hints of SF)
First Draft: completed | Revision #1: 51% (major rewrite to switch main character)
- 04/30/2013: One long chapter pulled from the first draft pushed me past the half-way mark (assuming this is a 70k word novel). This chapter needed lots of revision to make it work. I’m pretty happy with it. This was the chapter that showed me I had the wrong main character.
- 04/29/2013: Pushing forward to 40%. This past 15% took a lot of planning, outlining and hair pulling. The progress bar will increase quickly from here on out.
- 04/15/2013: Things are taking shape, but I’m leaving it at 15% for now. I’ve reworked this first part several times as I search for the right tone and pace.
- 04/02/2013: Definitely a rewrite, though I am bringing some of the old text in as I go. More world building in this draft
- 03/20/2013: It’s clicking pretty well, but going slow as I have to write totally new scenes and chapters. This may end up being technically a rewrite rather than a revision.
- 03/13/2013: Finally figured out the approach. Definitely switching to different MC. Also adding a few viewpoint chapters from another character. Keeping it at the 5% level, but expect it to start to climb quicker now.
Other Projects in Progress
- January short story: “Skinner Builder: In Three Heartbeats” (on submission)
- February short story: “The Cool Side”
- March short story – Title secret as on anonymous submission
- April Short Story – title secret
Projects on Hold
- Sal Van Sleen #2 (3/30/13 — had a mental breakthrough on this. Too bad I can’t work on it now
- Untitled Fantasy Novel Draft #1
Update 03/13/2013: Haven’t worked on this for a bit. Will return to it later this year.
Eric Edstrom is the author of The Undermountain Saga, a YA science fiction trilogy.
Contact Me | Buy My Books | Join My Email Newsletter