Hello! Welcome to my website.
I am the author of the YA science fiction series The Undermountain Saga and The Scion Chronicles.
My main influences:
- Star Wars – In particular, The Empire Strikes Back. I know I’m not alone in my love for this great story. Rest assured, it’s influenced my writing tremendously. I love, love, love The Force Awakens!
- The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson) – I started reading this series when I was 19 or 20 years old, right when the first book came out in paperback My favorite character is Rand (sorry, but I’m conventional that way)
- Die Hard – Yes, the movie with Bruce Willis fighting terrorist theives in an office building. I’ve watched it dozens of times. I even outlined the whole movie beat by beat to understand how it ticks. Let me just say that no scene is wasted. It is an utterly amazing screenplay.
- Pride and Prejudice – I’m a hopeless romantic at heart. That said, I know the BBC miniseries better than the actual book.
- Harry Potter – Why did I relate to the story of the boy under the stairs who is really a wizard? Maybe it was wish fulfillment. Maybe it’s because one can’t help but root for the orphan boy who finds a family amongst the only people who could possibly understand him. Hermione is obviously my favorite character, though.
- The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson. I tried to re-read these recently but just couldn’t slog through it. But these books left an indelible impression on me, and taught me the concept of the anti-hero.
- Aliens – The second movie in the series. The one directed by James Cameron.
- The Shannara Books by Terry Brooks – I read the first three or four during high school. I recently discovered I was pronouncing Shannara wrong (update: on the MTV Shannara show, they pronounce it the way I used to. Very confusing). I have not read anything past Wishsong . . . yet.
- The Belgariad by David Eddings – I adored these books when I was a kid, devouring them whole like eating a chocolate chip cookie in one bite. I have not revisited them since, fearful that they wouldn’t live up to my memory of them.
- The Lord of the Rings – I struggle through the books occasionally. I love them. I love the movies but I was severely disappointed by how they depicted the battle between Eowyn and the Nazgul. Severely disappointed. The Hobbit movies were fine, but not my favs.
- The Matrix – Truly a brilliant movie that never gets old for me. It causes me to question reality on a regular basis.
So what do all those influences influence me to write? Well, I tend to write books and stories full of adventure, epic struggles, a bit of romance, and exotic locations.
To keep up to date on my hijnks, and for special opportunities to read my stories before anyone else, please join my mailing list. I promise I won’t share it with anyone!