Wow. This has been a productive and intense couple days. I did some outlining on the next book project earlier, but now I’ve taken it to the next level. This phase of a book project is always fun, and sometimes scary.
I started with a very general concept. Maybe even a high concept, whatever that means. It was more a of a world concept than anything character based. This happened with Undermountain too. I just said, “What if . . .” and started world building from there.
But now there are characters, plot elements, twists, setting, and a whole bunch of holes. The trick is to put all these pieces into an order than makes sense and then fill in the holes. Also, I need an ending. I think I’m getting close to figuring that out.
I know there are some who don’t believe outlining counts as writing. Tell that to my poor, sore, typing hands. This isn’t a one page bullet point deal; this is looong, with lots of notes.
For those curious, I’m using OmniOutliner for this phase of the project. Once I get the outline in good shape, I’ll move over to Scrivener for assembling the actual story.
I also have the beginnings of the book guide, which is a list of characters, setting elements, and some plot stuff.